NICU babies need to meet certain milestones before they can be discharged from the hospital. Parents wonder when they can bring their baby home, but doctors usually can't give a definite answer. Talking to other NICU parents can help moms and dads cope with having a baby in the hospital.
How early was your baby? How long did your baby stay in the NICU? What were some of the roadblocks to discharge you faced? Share Your Stories
- My water broke at 31 weeks, bed rest for 3 weeks and baby #3 or first boy, was born at 34 wks 5 days at 15 lbs 14oz and 18in long! He stayed in NICU for 10 days! Thanks be to Jesus! Nothing is possible without Him! Baby is good, Pray and seek Jesus, give thanks in all situations! Baby is now 20weeks 4 days old/16 weeks 6 days old adjusted! :):)
- —Guest Nani J.
27 weeks 6 days
- My daughter, Carlee, was in the NICU for 6 weeks 5 days! She was 2lbs 15oz at birth and 4 lbs 14 oz at discharge! She is now home and approaching her due date!!
- —Guest Lacey Cozza
Spencer Benjamin born at 24 weeks
- Spencer was born at 24 weeks by emergency. He was air lifted to Royal Columbian Hospital and weighed 1 pound and 5 ounces. He was in the NICU for 5 and a half months ( 158 days). He underwent heart surgery at 3 weeks old, almost died with Ecoli infection, has a lung disease from being ventilated for a long time, developed ROP and had laser eye surgery where they burned 900 spots around each retina to prevent blindness. He stopped breathing thousands of times, turned blue 3 times and became our little warrior. Today he is 11 months but is 7 months corrected age. He is handsome and developmentally okay. He loves to cuddle, smile and make silly noises. He is our miracle baby!
- —Guest Jen Beauchene
Baby came at 28 weeks
- I was in labor for 7 days with my baby cause she was tying to come early. The dr. tired everythind to keep me from having her early but nothing seemed like it was working. I was in a lot of pain from Jan 11-13 til i had her on Jan 17 -13. I got to hold her for 2 mins them they took her off to the nicu. I was sad cause I knew I was not bringing my baby home with me but I also know she was in the best care. We are still in the nicu. She is going on 3 months. I'm so ready to go home with my little angel I hold her every day I love her with all heart .
- —Guest lisa
26 weeks 6 days
- Sana was born on March 1, 2013 in Foothills Hospital with a weigh of 1015 grams and 32cm. After being in the hospital for 5 days and all the doctors and nurses saying that it would be a cesarian, Sana was delivered normally even though there was a bridge. Nurses and doctors here have been so nice and patient and she is doing great. She is still in NICU and this is the best place for her. For those parents who are going through this I say just pray and be patient, God is great and be thankful.
- —Guest Burhan Nasiry
- We had triplets, one passed away instantly. The other two were intubated for 13 weeks. The "bigger" baby came home on November 24, almost 5 months after his birth. Our other little man is STILL in the nicu. He has so many problems with his lungs and heart. it has now been an 8 month stay, we are looking at being there until at least a year, and then being sent to a center for babies who need more development help. Sometimes a stay can be a lot longer than expected. We get through it by being excited for small feats.. first poopy diapers wow! no more breathing tube, amazing! you can hold your temperature for 6 hours, super! be excited about the small things because for a sick baby that's huge!
- —Guest Andrea
26 weeks 5 days... still in NICU
- At 26 weeks 1 day I saw my ob/gyn for a check up and my blood pressure was 200/200 and the nurse was nice enough to freak me out and swear I'd end up in the hospital (yeah stress out the lady with high blood pressure!) The doctor was calm and just put me on another high blood pressure medicine. The next day I took the new pill and fifteen minutes later I was having really painful upper abdominal cramps which my doctor told me was a sign to get to the hospital right away. I had the two steroid shots which paused my symptoms for a couple days. Yet by then my little girls movements were slowing and her heart rate was dipping. On 12-21-12 they did the c-section and out came my little 1lb. 9 oz. girl named Evelyn. Fast forward 3 mon. through a lot of ups and downs and mini mental breakdowns and my little girl is 7lbs. 2 oz. and is gestationally full term. She is off of her cannula and she can almost take all her feedings which are 65ml! I pray in the next few days they'll let her come home!
- —Guest God is good
Baby girl born @ 31 weeks
- My baby girl was born at 31 weeks weighing 2 pounds 15 ounces. She is still in the NICU doing great. I pray she keeps the fight. Thank you God.
- —Guest Toya
GOD IS GOOD
- MY BABY HAS BEEN IN NICU SINCE BIRTH. SHE HAD 3 THINGS WRONG WITH HER HEART, SHE WAS BORN AT 7MONTHS. MY BABY WILL BE 3 MONTHS ON 3/27/13. SHE IS DOING GREAT, SHE WILL BE GOING HOME MONDAY 3/11/13, SO JUST KEEP IN MIND GOD IS GOOD, GOD HAS A PLAN FOR ALL HIS CHILDREN.
- —Guest emajin
- I had PROM and was admitted to the hospital. They started me on magnesium and one round of steriod shots. I was not dilated or having contraction when my water broke. They were trying to keep me to 35 weeks, however I delivered him the next morning...breech! We were in the NICU for 31 days. He started out with the CPAP, billie lights, and isolette. He was put on caffeine due to his apnea and brady's, which were very scary. Once he matured and reached 36 weeks, his spells became very few and far between and when he passed his 8 day countdown with no A&B's we were able to go home. He was born at 3lb 9oz and we left the hospital at 4lb 8oz. Today he is 4 months old, rolling over, smiling, cooing, and almost 11 lbs. Be strong as your baby is in the best hands!
- —Guest Sarah
1LB 15ounces 29 weeks
- My daughter Carlie was born Valentine's Day and at 29 weeks. She is very small and doing well. I finally got to hold her at 10 days old. She is on cpap and all signs are good. I just want to bring her home and cuddle. Not just hard on her mom but hard on her dad (me) as well. She is now 2.4 lbs and has grown well. Just glad the NICU has such wonderful people and are so caring.
- —Guest chris
Grow strong connor
- On Oct. 27, 2012 I went into labor at 24 weeks. Connor blessed us only weighing 1lb 12oz and 12in long. He was immediately brought to Nicu and was on two vents. The first 42 days of life he had two lungs collapse. At day 74 he was transported to a new hospital out of state for emergency LASIK eye surgery having rop stage 2 zone 3. Connor's vision is still yet to be determined at this time. Day 95 Connor got to come home on an apnea monitor. 4 days home back to hospital, postive influenza. He stayed an additional week in Pedi. He is now home with 0.5 oxygen and apnea monitor. He had bpd and many specialist visits to come. They found a hole in his left artery in his heart. Every day Connor amazes everyone. He's a fighter and hope for a brighter future is all I pray for. Grow strong Connor.
- —Guest My son my joy
Baby Boy born at 26 weeks 3 days
- My little man came after multiple steroid shots and two rounds of magnesium sulfate. He was delivered by emergency C-section after his heart rate dropped to 40. He weighed 2lbs 2oz and was 14inches long. He spent 78 days in the NICU. He had to have a mainline installed, blood transfusions, medicine to help close his PDA, and eye exams that were painful to watch. He's now 8 1/2 months old and doing great! He weights 15lbs 10oz and is 26 inches long! He's our little miracle!
We found comfort in embracing the other families in the NICU. We have one very special family that spent the same amount of time in the NICU with us. We still talk everyday. God is Great!!
- —Guest Sandra
Miracle baby Cailey born at 24 weeks
- My 24 weeker was born on the 28th of November 2012 through a c-section and weighed 1 Lbs 64 ounces. Scared as I was of losing her before and after she came I kept the faith that God will keep her alive and healthy. She was sent immediately to the NICU and those wonderful nurses and Neonatologists are doing their best for her. Each day her story is different, she has her good and bad days but she has been doing very well. She went from CPAP to VAPOURTHERM and that according to the nurses is a good sign. she has been having episodes of desats which is normal for babies born that premature which they eventually grow completely out of as they mature. At this age breast milk contribute a greater part of their success compared to baby formulas according to the NICU staff. Little Cailey is growing bigger and healthier each day. She is now 32 weeks and weighs 3.5 LBS. Have faith in God. He is in control of the situation. We have kept our fingers crossed and waiting for her to come home soon.
- —Guest Abby30666
Kristin 25 weeks
- My daughter was born on November 27, 2012. I was bleeding the morning after Thanksgiving, we were admitted into the emergency room where the doctor found me to have minor sign of contractions that I could not feel. I was discharged a day later. I was on bed rest until at 3 am I feel the contractions. We went to the hospital and I was found to be dilated. I was medevac from Fairbanks, AK to Anchorage, AK within an hour after a shot of steroids. When I arrived, they found my heart rate to be as fast as my baby, 130-140 bpm. I found later that I was undertreated for my overactive thyroid condition in Fairbanks. I was not told if this could be the cause of my water rupture. I had a few more shot of steroids until my baby was no longer stable. My baby girl Kristin was delivered through c-section at 1 lb 8 oz., 13 inches long. Her eyes were wide open and looking around when she was delivered. She have her 2nd PDA that doesn't seem to bother her. These little fighters are stronger than you think.
- —Guest T