NICU babies need to meet certain milestones before they can be discharged from the hospital. Parents wonder when they can bring their baby home, but doctors usually can't give a definite answer. Talking to other NICU parents can help moms and dads cope with having a baby in the hospital.
How early was your baby? How long did your baby stay in the NICU? What were some of the roadblocks to discharge you faced?
- My baby was born at 23 weeks. He was one lb and 10 oz. I was already in the hospital on BR and lo and behold one day I started to have these cramps. I already had no cervix left and was dilated one cm. So the cramps started and I was leaking some fluid. Then they checked me and claimed everything was cool. Then I started having stronger pains. So after a while they shipped me to L&D. They started picking up contractions and they were close so they rush me back put me to sleep cut me up and down and then he was out. That was 5-25-13. Today is 3-10-14 and he is still in there today he's 9 mos almost 10.
- —Guest Tiffany
MY NICU GRAD
- My Grandson, Jude, was in the NICU for 207 days. He was 1lb 11oz and born at 25 weeks 6 days gestation from placenta aburption. He is the 2nd child, first child was full-term. He had Sepsis and DIC and recovered. He was on the vent 7 weeks with BPD. He had 40% of his small intestine removed due to blockage in-utero. He had state 1 or 2 brain bleeds that resolved. He had more blood transfusions than I can count. He graduated from the NICU with only an NG tube and that was removed after being home 3 days. He is 7 mo from birth and doing very well. His feedings held him back in the NICU due to his abdominal surgery. It is a very slow (months) process for the "gut" to work properly. He is where he should be physically and mentally. Stay positive and keep the faith.
- —Guest Lora B
12 days in the nicu
- My son was born at exactly 34 weeks. My water broke at 33 weeks 3 days they were able to keep me pregnant on bed-rest until 34 weeks. He was breach as well. He was born 5 lbs 2 oz and 18 1/4 inches long. He's three months old now and over 12 lbs and 23 in!
- —Guest Miriam
- My baby came on Valentines Day, she is in the NICU for now for a few weeks. Soon I have to go home. It's hard to leave her. I will be back every evening, but I wish I could take her home.
- —Guest mware
Bleeding at baby shower
- This is my first pregancy and during my baby shower I started bleeding and was rushed in to the hospital at 34wks pregnant. I was diagnosed with preeclampsia and placenta abruption. A c-section was done a week later. My baby was born healthy thanks God. He weighed 4lbs and stayed in nicu for 21 days. I'm planning to go for a vbac for second pregnancy, ;)
- —Guest Ana
34 weeks 2 days
- My lb was born at 34 wks 2 days and weighed 3lb 8oz. I was originally going to be induced around wk 37 as I had a high pi so I had already had steroid injections incase the hospital wished to induce me earlier. However on 27/7/13, I started bleeding heavily and was rushed to hospital, it turned out I had had a placenta abruption which meant my placenta had come away from the wall causing internal bleeding. The drs said if they never had got my son out within the minute we both could have died. I had to have 2 blood transfusions but I'm glad to say we both made it :) my lb was in nicu for 13 days, tube fed for 1 day and then straight in to bottles. He is now 8 wks old and doing so well
- —Guest Dennie's mummy
25-week gestation, 86 days in NICU
- I abruptly went into labour 25 weeks into my first pregnancy with no apparent cause. Due to cord prolapse when my water broke, my son was born by emerg c-section. Weighed 820grams (1lb 13 0oz). There were lots of complications - hemorraging in his brain, immature lungs requiring respirator, a lung infection, PDA valve open, heart murmur. At one point the physicians had "the talk" with me about just how sick my baby was and their concerns that he might not pull through. Now he's an amazingly healthy, typically developing 4 1/2 year old! Miraculously there have been no long term complications or health challenges as a result. My second child was born at 37 weeks and did spend 5 days in the NICU due to concerns about her small size (4lb 9oz), abnormal blood sugar levels, and poor initial feeding but that admission was a total cakewalk compared to the first!!
- —Guest Tricia
- I gave birth to two infant newborn twins. The hospital was really weird to me, I delivered and the doctor ordered a psych consult. It came into my room 7 minutes after I was wheeled into the recovery room, and declared I was speaking in psychosis and was unfit to see my children or hold them. Then the hospital released my infants after 2 days of being born to a foreign foster family... I feel really weird about the infants being released from intensive care after 33 weeks gestation and being only there for 2 days. I feel like they just did something extremely illegal to me.
1st baby brother
- My mother just gave birth last Aug 19 2013, my newborn brother weighted 1.75lbs. My mother gave birth at a birthing clinic so since my brother was premature he was rushed to the hospital right away to be incubated. It's his day 1 in the NICU, but the doctor said he's doing fine.
- —Guest guest von
Duration in NICU
- Our sweet daughter was born at 28.5 weeks. On June 3 my water broke and I was immediately taken to the er. Thanks to God, an amazing husband, & dedicated staff, I was able to receive the surfactant for my unborn babies lungs and the care I needed to not deliver until the 11th of June. Madisyn weighed only 2.12 lbs and was 15 in long. She was on a vent for just 1 day and the cannula for the next several weeks. She was discharged from the NICU 2 days shy of her 2 month mark. Other complications she had/has were/are a stage 1 brain bleed, apnea and Brady's, ROP (also stage 1), and two heart murmurs - all of which the drs state she will most likely overcome by age 1.
I encourage any parents with their child/children in the NICU to ask a million questions. My husband & I found it very comforting having our many many questions answered (along with literature in some cases), because let's face it, we're all terrified of the unknown.
Maddy is our little miracle and we truly are blessed.
- —Guest Madisyns mom
- My waters broke at 28 weeks. They left me for three days until they finally decided to get him after knowing a infection had started to set in. I had a c-section on Monday 12 aug 13. He weighed 2pound 9 oz. He's in nicu breathing by himself just having a drip to give him his feeds but he's doing really well considering the situation.
- —Guest Jessica
- I am 29 weeks pregnant, and have been in the hospital with 'real' contractions twice now. I've had the steroid shots and have been on bedrest for 2 weeks. I'm already dilated to a 1. The nurses say I will probably deliver around 32 weeks... I am hoping to keep him in longer. They say to prepare for him to be in the NICU until his due date... But he got the steroid shots and he's always been a little bigger than most his age and... I hope to take him home within a month.
- —Guest Pookie
26 weeks 6 days
- I delivered my sweet baby girl on May 9, 2013. She weighed 1lb 3oz after being admitted to the hospital due to low placenta and heavy bleeding Mollie Irie made her grand enterance. Mollie was only on the vent for a few hours then put on the cpap. After maybe 3 weeks they removed cpap and put her on the nasal cannula. Then shortly after that I walked in her room and the cpap was back. So now we've been back on cpap for about 5weeks. Her o2 that she is receiving is on about 26% so hopefully she'll be off of that in a few days. She has not began taking a bottle yet but the nurses' are convinced that once they put a bottle to her mouth that she would suck immediately because she does very well with her passie while feeds are going in. Today July 9th we're still here and hopefully she'll be coming home soon. Mollie's current weight is 4lbs 3oz.
- —Guest Whitney
Twins born at 31 weeks 2 days
- My boy/girl twins were just born on 6/28/13. They were just 31 weeks 2 days gestational age. They were 3lbs 8 oz and 3 lbs 4 oz. they did not have to be in a ventilator, just minimal oxygen support which is great I am told. I am told they could stay as long as their due date, Aug. 28th which would be two months. We are hoping to have them home well before that. All reports have been positive... We'll see what happens
- —Guest Tom
micro preemie born @ 28 weeks
- Jax was born at 28 weeks. I was in labor for a week and the doctors tried everything to stop the birth. He was born on 5/28/12. We stayed in the nicu for 55 days, he had a double hernia surgery and a circumcision the day before discharge. He came home without any monitors @ 35 weeks 6 days gestational age. He weighed 4lbs. 11oz. He has done great since, I work with him everyday. He is right on track with his adjusted age and on track with speech and weight in his actual age.
- —Guest jax's mom