In the NICU
By Cheryl Bird, RN, About.com Guide
For most parents, the first meeting with a newborn preemie is also the first visit to a neonatal intensive care unit. The sights, sounds, and routines are all foreign! Here, I explain what parents will see in the NICU and who will be caring for the babies.
- Premature Babies Week by Week
- All About the NICU
- NICU Equipment and Procedures
- Respiratory Support in the NICU
- Requesting your Baby’s Medical Records
- Paying Your Baby's Medical Bills
- All About Preemie Clothes
- Should Twins Sleep Together in the NICU?
Premature babies are susceptible to unique health problems. Learn about the health challenges that preemies may face, what causes them, and how they're treated.
- Common Preemie Health Problems
- Long Term Health Problems of Prematurity
- Health Concerns for the Late Preterm Baby
- Apnea of Prematurity
- Necrotizing Enterocolitis (NEC)
- Respiratory Distress Syndrome
- What is Intraventricular Hemorrhage (IVH) in Preemies?
Parenting in the NICU
Parenting a premature baby in the NICU can be very different from what many parents expect. Although your baby may not be home with you, you are still very important in his or her growth and care. Learn how to be a great NICU parent.
- Parenting in the NICU
- Bonding With Your Premature Baby
- Feeding Your Premature Baby in the NICU
- Preemie Clothes for in the NICU
- Helping Your Preemie Baby Thrive
Coping in the NICU
Coping with all of the events and emotions of NICU life can feel overwhelming. Your own feelings and emotions will probably run high, and your normal coping strategies can get overwhelmed. Focusing on being the best NICU parent you can be can help make the experience easier.
- Coping with Having a Premature Baby
- Forum for Parents of Premature Babies
- Readers' Tips for Coping with Having a Premature Baby
Readers share the stories of their premature babies' births, NICU stays, and homecomings. We'd love to hear your story too!
- Share Your Preemie Story
- A Twin to Twin Transfusion Story - Logan and Mason
- An Eclampsia Preemie Story - Adam